Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Girl on Legare Street - Karen White

Title: The Girl on Legare Street
Author: Karen White
Publisher: NAL
Published: 2009
Pages: 335
Genre: Paranormal - Ghost
Series: Tradd Street - Book #2

Continuing the story of Melanie and Jack, Karen White pens another winner with me. Once again, her rich descriptions and colorful characters captivated my attention and held me spellbound till the end. The Girl on Legare Street is the second in, what I hope will be, a continuing series. You are left with somewhat of a cliffhanger at the end which makes me think there are more books in the works. The first book is The House on Tradd Street and was just as entertaining as this one. Not only does it have ghosts, and not your typical ghosts either, but the mystery behind the storyline is exquisite. Karen White has a way of telling a story that will keep you on the edge of your seat at times, guessing what will happen next, and will definitely keep you entertained.

Melanie is a loner being the product of a dysfunctional family. Her father is an alcoholic, and her mother deserted her more than thirty years ago. Growing up under those circumstances...she is just not relationship material...hence the reason why she keeps pushing Jack away. Sometimes, I just wish she would give him a chance...I think that would be my only complaint with the book. But then the whole undertone of the books would change and that would be a bad thing...LOL! I love Karen White's writing, and I wouldn't want to change a thing...it is just the romantic in me that wants everyone paired together. The character of Melanie is realistic...she can be make me frustrated, laugh, angry...I run the whole range of emotions with her.

Melanie's mother returns to Charleston after having a deadly premonition that Melanie's life was in danger. Jack brings the two of them together against Melanie's wishes...all she is reminded of is how little they have in common and the desertion she felt when her mother walked out of her life. Now, her mother is moving into her ancestral home and wants Melanie to help her restore it, and use her sixth sense to talk to the ghosts that are inhabiting the house. But her mother's return has "awakened a dark spirit, whose strength has been growing for decades - and who is read for revenge."

I just love Jack!! He is an accomplished writer who is trying to restore his good name after a disastrous book. He is so unassuming and really tries to get through to Melanie. He can be irritating at times...but that just adds to his charm. He really tries to be the good guy...but sometimes he can't catch a break...lol. I love the dialogue between him and Melanie. At times it is filled with sexual tension and other times it is witty and sarcastic.

Even though you don't necessarily need to read The House on Tradd Street first (Karen White does a great job of telling readers what happened in the first book without it being distracting for those of us who have read it already), I recommend that you do. I think you will enjoy Melanie's and Jack's relationship more and get a feel for what drives Melanie.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Rating: 5/5
Pages:  335
Completed:  5/17/10

1 comment:

Marg said...

I loved The House on Tradd Street and I am looking forward to reading this one soon.

Related Posts with Thumbnails